View Larger Map
|Directions to Driving Tour Stop #4
Proceed up hill 2.0 miles toward Windber on Carpenter’s Park Road, which turns into Cottage Lane, which then turns into Main Street, to the intersection with PA Route 601. Turn left onto 601 North, which turns into Main Street and go 0.4 miles to a three-way stop sign at intersection of Main and Bedford Streets. Turn left onto Main Street and proceed 0.7 miles to the Eureka Mine 40 Overlook on your right.
Driving Tour Stop #3
Carpenter’s Park was the nexus of trolley lines that connected with the City of Johnstown and the coal-mining communities of Scalp Level/Mine 40 and Windber. The lines followed the Stonycreek River from Benscreek through Kelso (Tire Hill) to Carpenter’s Park and the Paint Creek to Scalp Level and Windber. Residents would ride the trolley to this park, named for Johnstown hotel-owner Peter Carpenter, where they could picnic, swim, dance and socialize in a pavilion or hike over to Yoder Falls. The trolley line was abandoned following the 1936 Flood.
Today, Carpenter’s Park is a principal put-in and take-out area for boaters. It sits just beyond the Stonycreek Canyon’s 15 sets of Class III-IV rapids, and usually is the place where paddlers take out their boats after running the Canyon. However, it also is a put-in area for boaters interested in the 3.5-mile Class II-III section between Carpenter’s Park and Whitewater Park.